CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 30, 2010

Baby Food

I am such a bad blogger. I think I'm finally starting the get the hang of writing as well as keeping up with class on top of my already full time job of being Max's mommy. So hopefully my posts will be more frequent.

When I found out I was going to be a mom something I was EXTREMELY adamant about was that I was going to make Max's baby food.. sans cereal. While its possible to make baby cereal I didn't feel to strongly about trying to recreate dry cereal. Max's Daddy has been interested in this process as well but we really didn't know where to start. Max's nutritionist gave us some helpful advice about what to start with and when to start.. but everything else has been trial and error. This was Max's first attempt at rice cereal. He actually did pretty good!



So armed with a small amount of information and a ton of ideas i set out on my adventure of making food for Max. Today was my first day and actually.. I think I did a pretty good job. The first thing I needed was a food processor or chopper that pureed food. I bought a cheap little one for ten bucks at HEB. Food processors can get pricy but this chopper actually works really well. I decided to start with something easy and made sweet potatoes. After a ton of googling I baked a sweet potato until it was soft and then cut it in half and put it in the food processor. His nutritionist recommended adding formula to thin out the food and to boost the calories since he's still under weight.





After making the food I had the problem of trying to figure out how to store it. Turning to google I learned the best way to store homemade baby food was in ice trays, because each cube equals a one ounce serving. I actually ordered these really cool baby food storage containersbut until they get here I'll just keep using the ice cube trays. All you have to do is freeze the food and pop them out a cube at a time for a perfectly measured meal every time.




I mixed his food with Barley Cereal (which he hated) the first time. After that I've alternated between Rice Cereal and Oatmeal (which I accidentally bought with probiotics and upset his belly) and he loves the rice cereal.



After going though all of that.. Max LOVED the sweet potatoes. He hasn't quite gotten the hang of eating from a spoon but he seems to really enjoy playing with the food. He's such a happy guy and it doesn't take to awful much to make him happy.. but playing with the food made him really giggle. I love seeing him smile.




This mommy stuff is all trial and error but I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. Max is the only reason I keep going in all that I do. The best part of me will always be him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment